Entrance to the event is free.
For your planning, you can also use mobile apps from Sched. After starting the app, enter "IGF2019" to find the event.
Estrel Congress Center, Sonnenallee 225, 12057 Berlin
The congress centre is accessible. A wheelchair ramp and a lift are available to facilitate entry. The attached hotel has twelve accessible rooms with adapted bathrooms.
For participants who are hearing impaired, the main stage programme will be relayed in simultaneous live transcription.
You can pick up your conference badge starting November 22, 2019 at the IGF accreditation counter in the congress center, between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
From the 25th of November you have to pass through a security check at the entrance. Please plan accordingly. The security checkpoints are open from 7.30 am. The controls are required to enter the event area.
To make it faster:
- Prepare your purses, bags, or trolleys in such a way that liquids and electronic devices are easy to remove as they are usually separately checked or scanned.
- Forbidden items at the conference include: sharp objects, weapons and firecrackers, tools, explosives, flammable materials, self-defense items, chemicals and other dangerous items. In case of doubt, the security personnel of the United Nations will decide. You can collect confiscated items when leaving at the "Lost & Found" counter.
Services available at the venue
- ATM: There is an ATM in the lobby of the Congress Centre Hotel.
- Conversation rooms: You can for a bilateral conversation online. You can also book rooms on-site at the info counter.
- Participants with children: You can indicate when registering if you want to bring a child to the IGF. The child must also be registered. The congress center offers a day care room and trained staff.
- Catering: The congress center offers drinks and snacks. All participants will enjoy a free lunch buffet during the mid-day breaks. There are also three restaurants in the atrium of the Estrel Hotel, offering local and international cuisine.
- Wi-fi: A Wi-fi network will be set up for the event. Its name is “IGF2019”, no password is necessary.
- Prayer Room: An interreligious space for meditation and prayer is available.
For further questions about the services available at the congress centre, you can ask at the information desk in the reception area.
The Estrel Berlin Hotel at the conference venue offers a limited number of available rooms for participants of the IGF 2019. You can enquire about availability with the following code:
- When you arrive, you will be given a Berlin public transport pass along with your name badge. This allows you to travel on city trains (S-Bahn), underground (U-Bahn), and regional trains, trams and buses within the A, B and C fare zones of the VBB (Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg). The pass is valid from 22/11/2019 to 30/11/2019.
- For initial travel to the congress centre from Berlin-Tegel Airport (TXL) or from the city centre, you will need a single ticket for fare zone AB (€2.80).
- If you are arriving at Berlin-Schönefeld Airport, you will need a ticket for fare zone ABC (€3.40).
- You can buy tickets at various locations including the machines inside city and underground train stations, as well as from your bus driver (please have coins ready). You can find more information about public transport in Berlin on the website of the .
Getting to the congress centre
From Berlin central station (Berlin Hauptbahnhof):
- Bus: Line M41 to “Ziegrastraße”. Journey time approx. 40 minutes.
- Taxi: Journey time approx. 30 minutes. Fare around €20.
From Berlin Südkreuz station:
- City train (S-Bahn): Line S42, circle line (Ringbahn) to “Sonnenallee”. Walk approx. 5 minutes to Estrel. Total journey time around 20 minutes.
- Taxi: Journey time approx. 20 minutes. Fare around €18.
From Berlin Ostbahnhof station:
- City train (S-Bahn): Line S3, S5, S7 or S75 to “Ostkreuz”. Change to line S41, circle line (Ringbahn) to “Sonnenallee”. Journey time approx. 20 minutes.
- Taxi: Journey time approx. 20 minutes. Fare around €16.
Please refer to the . You will find information about visa requirements there, including a list of countries whose citizens do/ do not require visas to enter Germany, and application forms to download.
If you need a visa to travel to Germany, please apply for it in good time from the German mis-sion (embassy or consulate general) in the area in which you live or habitually reside. You should submit your application as early as possible, since there may be a waiting period before the application can be processed.
If necessary, visas for IGF participants are granted free of charge and as soon as possible in accordance with the applicable procedures of the Federal Republic of Germany and the European Union. Please refer to the competent mission for further information.
The email from the IGF Secretariat of the United Nations expressing consent to your registration will suffice as an invitation document for your visa application. You do not need an additional, official letter of invitation. All German embassies and consulates are informed accordingly.
• Weather: The average temperature in Berlin in November is 4.6 degrees Celsius.
• Power: The German power grid operates on 230 Volt/50 Hz AC power. Two-pin plugs (type C and type F) can be used.
• Opening hours: Many shops and businesses are open from 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and closed on Sundays, with a few exceptions.